Friday, December 25, 2009

bonus track: Donde esta Santa Claus?

Until recent years, my favorite time of the year has always been Christmas. It may be due to the fact that December found us celebrating my birthday, then my mom's and then Christmas, so it's always been an exciting month. As a kid, December could never get here fast enough for me. One of my favorite parts of December was also Christmas music. We always listened to tons of it at my house. But even better was singing in the school choir and giving our yearly holiday concert!

At Cypress Elementary we had a music teacher, Miss Paulen, who I adored and is probably a big reason I love music so much. In my memory she looks like Jane Adams. But what's interesting is that for someone who has a very bad memory about my younger days, one of my earliest memories, one that is indelibly written on my brain is being in kindergarten and learning a song from Miss Paulen, perched on a stool and strumming her guitar. "Red and yellow and pink and green / purple and orange and blue / i can sing a rainbow..." I took part in the school choir every year of elementary school. I remember doing a duet at one of the concerts with some girl, who was sick the day we were reprising the show for the younger grades at a school assembly, leaving me to sing "My favorite things" alone. I remember one concert during my 6th grade year was a Cabbage Patch Kid musical. There were two Ricks in choir and one of us was supposed to be the understudy for whoever played the guy who discovered the Cabbage Patch. When we did the show for the school, Miss Paulen asked Rick to take over and I excitedly went backstage, jumping out to act all amazed at the Cabbage Patch Kids growing in the garden (growing in the sun), only to see the other Rick as I walked offstage looking SERIOUSLY pissed. Oh my god, I was a grade school Eve Harrington!

Anyway, the point is that there was one song we used to sing with Miss Paulen every Christmas that I was wild about, because I had never heard it on any of my parents Christmas records and didn't get to sing it any other time... and it goes like this:



Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment