Wednesday, January 6, 2010

track 63: someone like you

August 1, 1997:
While staying with Lisa and her parents, I was introduced by her mom, Gay, to the musical Jekyll & Hyde, which starred Robert Cuccioli and Linda Eder. We actually watched a bit of a bootleg performance, I believe, and I fell in love with Linda Eder's voice and the song "Someone like you."



Soon I was picking up both the Broadway cast album as well as Linda's solo album, It's Time. Linda's voice is often compared to Streisand, and it's true. She's got a lovely, strong... buttery voice. But while Streisand's sense of humor only comes out in live recordings now, Eder retains a sense of fun and not taking herself too seriously. Over the years I've continued to listen to her albums, from her amazing collection of Broadway songs (with her knock-out version of "Man of La Mancha") to her recent collection of movie music.

To this day, "Someone like you" remains one of my favorite songs, and Linda Eder's version is the one I'll always treasure. For someone with a romantic soul who's perennially in unrequited love, the song is perfect.



next time: let's put on some tunes & sing along to Doolittle all day / go down to the riverside, take off our clothes & wash these sins away

No comments:

Post a Comment